Monday 29 July 2013

Cornish Crown Brewery


My job is probably one of the best on the world. Not only do I get to drink from a constantly expanding range of around 400 craft beers from around the world, on occasion people just walk in and give me free beer in the hope that we’ll stock.

While there’s never any guarantees on that front, the upside of course is that I can always write about them here. So to that end, today I’m reviewing Mr Josh Dunkley’s, Cornish Crown brewery. Or more precisely – His “Causeway” session bitter and a “Strong” Pale Ale. Though as we’ll see its really not that strong.

Causeway Bitter 4.1% 


Its a brown bitter. The type my Dad would go for in a pub. There's nothing wrong with keeping it traditional every now and then is there?

Looks 

Pours a clear amber colour with virtually zero head that diminishes faster than I can say "is that it?". The labels looks nice enough although its a good job they are plain white and not red or it would look like Royal Mail branded beer. 

Aroma

The hops come through nicely with the an almost spicy wild garlic like hum that I can only assume comes from the summit. Works very well with the bready notes that come through from the malt. There's also a light and familiar floral note. 

Taste

Quite sharp on the palate and very full bodied caramel, toffee like flavours. From the hops we get a tiny more of that vegetal spiciness from the summit but not a great deal. It's meant to the be the session beer of the range so we're not after massive hoppy mind-blowing effects. Still there's a pleasant citrus grapefruit-like flavour that hits the spot. All in all its actually very good. 

Strong Pale Ale 4.7% 


Its a traditional pale ale. Although I'd wouldn't call it strong exactly. I'd go with SS Pale Ale but that sounds a little like Hitler Beer so probably best I wasn't involved in the naming process. 

Looks

Hazy orange/amber with lots of sediment. Did I store this one upright? Nope. Virtually zero head once again and what there is fades away quickly. 

Aroma

More of those lightly spicy vegetal hops with light citrus thrown in as well. Faintly sweet malt aroma but its the hops that are dominant on the nose. Not exactly mind blowing but again its worthwhile remembering we're on the traditional end of things. 

Taste

Caramel, biscuit and a lot more of those citrus hoppy notes mix together pleasantly enough. There's some oniony aspects too which I'm enjoying along with the tomato salsa I'm eating. Not at all bad. 

Verdict

Still a very young brewery and they are playing it very safe to start with with some fairly standard issue beers. Clearly its aimed not at the 18-25 market and it should appeal to the more beardy, beer lovers out there but I can't help thinking at those East London Brewing beers I reviewed this month. Still quaffable, easy-drinking session ales but with modern twists added that help set them apart. Cornish Crown don't quite manage anything that lofty but its good quality, well made session beer that your Dad will like all the same. 




No comments:

Post a Comment